Confined to Bed or Just Don’t Want to Leave It? Here Are the Perfect Exercises for You!
Sometimes you just don’t want to get out of bed or maybe you can’t?
Here are wonderful Pilates exercises you can do right in bed! No equipment needed. No clothes changing either!
Get a jump on the day when you first wake up with these easy-to-learn and fun exercises to strengthen and stretch.
How to Work Out Without Getting out of Bed
Eight moves to tone up all over using only your mattress as resistance.
We’d bet that even the biggest fitness junkies among us have had this moment: You’ve just woken up and the thought creeps in…Maybe I could just work out from bed, for a change? When you’re pressed for time, dreading the rain/sleet/snow/whatever weather outside, or just feeling blah about walking to the gym at the moment, it’s tempting. But if you’re quick to dismiss the thought as nothing but a lazy Saturday morning fantasy, you’ll definitely want to hear what Erika Bloom, Pilates guru and celebrity instructor, has to say.
Apparently you really can get a great workout from bed (other than, you know, the obvious cardio-in-bed workout). “The beauty of Pilates is that it can be done anywhere,” says Bloom. “And the bed is a great, easy place to get a toning, lengthening workout using just your body weight.” Plus, the springiness of the mattress provides a little extra dose of resistance. We asked Bloom to create a series of killer, bed-centric exercises with all of this in mind. While her routine below will still make your muscles quake, you only have to slip out from underneath your comforter to do it—before promptly returning to your Netflix binge minutes later….
Go through the entire sequence for a complete body workout, as illustrated by Bloom herself. Be sure to follow her breathing and alignment notes throughout, and to keep your core engaged when possible—all are important elements in getting the most out of a Pilates workout.
- Lie on your back with your arms by your side, with a neutral spine. Bring your feet onto the top of the headboard, or place the soles of your feet flat on the wall or headboard with your legs parallel.
- On an exhale, deepen your belly button to your spine to curl your tailbone up off of the bed.
- Press into your feet as you continue to roll up, one vertebra at a time, to come into a bridge.
- Inhale at the top. Exhale to roll back down.
- Repeat 10 times.
Four Point Tick Tock
- Begin on all fours close to the edge of the bed. Reach the outside leg off the bed toward the floor.
- Keeping your deep belly engaged and your spine reaching long, lift your leg out to the side.
- Lower it back down toward the floor, then lift it up to the back. Maintain a square pelvis and keep your shoulder blades wide on your back.
- Perform 20 repetitions on each leg.
- Lie on your stomach with your hands under your shoulders.
- Float up into a small upper back arch while maintaining a long, supported lower back.
- Keep your collarbones wide as you lengthen your arms forward until they are straight.
- Bend the elbows to draw the arms back in. Lower down out of the arch.
- Perform 5 reps.
Twist With Chest Opener
- Lie on one side near the edge of the bed with your knees bent and your arms extended out in front of you.
- Lengthen the top arm out, up, and open to bring your torso into a twist. Allow the shoulder to open so that the arm drops off the bed toward the floor. Breathe into your chest.
- Repeat twice on each side, alternating sides.
For more go to http://www.elle.com/beauty/health-fitness/how-to/a27390/how-to-work-out-without-getting-out-of-bed/